The Green Globe Artichoke produces a large, delicious green flower bud that opens into a purple thistle if left to flower. Choose a sunny spot in your garden with lots of room for this plant to grow. Artichokes are perennial plants that keep coming back bigger and more productive every year. For a dramatic difference in color, try growing the Violet Star Artichoke.
- Drought tolerant
- Heat tolerant
- Usually produces in 2nd year
SEED PLANTING INFO
- Botanical name: Cynara scolymus
- Depth to plant seeds: .25" deep
- Spacing between plants: 2'-4' apart
- Spacing between rows: 4'-5' apart
- Days to germinate (sprout): 12-21 days
- Germination soil temps: 70F-80F
- Plant height: 3'-5'
- Plant width: 5'-6'
- Soil needs: 5.5-6.5 pH
- Sun needs: Full sun
- Frost hardy: Yes
- Planting season: Spring
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 1 plant per 9 sq. ft.
- Days to maturity: 85-120 days
Good companion plants: Basil, Cabbage, Pea, Pepper, Tomato
* THE SEED SHOP *
THE PERFECT GIFT FOR ANY OCCASION
Gift a membership to the Monthly Seed Club: http://www.urbanorganicgardener.club Choose from 1, 3, 6, or 12-month pre-pay membership options
You may also like
Discover more variety for your vegetable garden
CONTINUE SHOPPINGENTER THE SEED SHOP ➜