Sweet Woodruff, also called Sweet-Scented Bedstraw, is a fast-growing, mat-forming herb and groundcover with dark green leaves and small, white, waxy, star-shaped flowers that bloom in spring. When crushed or cut, and especially dried, it has a grassy vanilla fragrance. Prefers partial to full shade, even under a Black Walnut tree. Add the leaves to fruit salads, jellies, and herbal teas, and use the flowers as an adorable and edible garnish. Reseeding and shallow runner roots enable it to spread easily.
- Grassy vanilla fragrance
- Culinary and medicinal
- Can be invasive
- Attracts bees, butterflies, and other pollinators
As a companion plant, it attracts all sorts of friendly pollinators to the garden.
As a medicinal herb, Sweet Woodruff has been used internally to treat congestion, insomnia, migraine headaches, nerve pain, and water retention, and externally to treat burns, wounds, and swelling.
⚠️ Contains naturally occurring coumarin and should not be ingested in large quantities if you are taking medication for circulatory disorders or are pregnant.
⚠️ Medicinal properties are presented as information only, and are not a recommendation or prescription for use. Consult a medical professional before using any herb medicinally.
SEED PLANTING TIPS
- Botanical name: Galium odoratum
- Life cycle: Herbaceous perennial
- Hardiness zones: 4-8
- Planting season: Spring, fall, winter
- Days to maturity: 90-120 days
- Depth to plant seeds: 1/4" deep
- Days to germinate (sprout): 10-200 days
- Germination soil temps: 60F-70F
- Spacing between plants: 8"-12" apart
- Spacing between rows: 18"-24" apart
- # of plants per sq. ft.: Appx. 1 plant per sq. ft.
- Soil types: Clay, sandy, loamy, rich, moist, well-drained
- Soil pH: 4.3-8.3
- Sun needs: Full shade, part shade
- Water needs: Average
- Cold stratify: Yes
- Frost tolerant: Yes
- Heat tolerant: No
- Drought tolerant: No
- Deer resistant: Yes
- Culinary use: Yes
- Medicinal use: Yes
* THE SEED SHOP *
Discover even more variety for your garden
Filter seed varieties by personality: